Solomon Islands Millennium Development Goals Initiative
The project envisages supporting Solomon Islands’ efforts towards achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) through MDGs-based planning and costing, targeted capacity building, and updating of the National MDGs Report.
The project will be carried in three stages, scoping, initiating and maturing. It will focus on: the review/development of national development planning and budgetary processes and on strengthening sector strategies; prioritization of activities and budget allocation; better linking of aid coordination and management with national priorities; and strengthening information systems for monitoring the effectiveness of national planning and budget implementation at the national, sectoral and local levels. The project also supports improvements in monitoring and reporting.
What are the Project’s goal?
Strengthened capacity among policy makers and CSOs to analyse trends and implications of key poverty, environment and gender issues and incorporate in MDGs-based national policies, plans, budgets and reports.
- Complete at least one sector’s data and capacity assessments.
- Record Official Development Assistance (ODA) inflow and develop performance indicators linking ODA and national budget to the achievement of national, regional and international development goals.
- Complete baseline assessment for three sectors.
- MDGs-based planning and budgeting is operational in two sectors.
- Assess existing sectoral reports/development plans instead of new assessments.
- Develop Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) strategy that integrates the MDGs.
- Provide support to develop the Monitoring and Evaluation framework for the National Development Strategy.
- Compile a Poverty/Human Development report for Solomon Islands, using the Household Income and Expenditure Survey (HIES) as the basis for this work.
Advocacy and Outreach
- Conduct at least one major advocacy programme for schools on the MDGs.
- Conduct education awareness programs on radio and physical billboards advertising.
- Publication and dissemination of MDG Advocacy packages to communities in Solomon Islands
- Support to the Post 2015 National Consultations.
What have we accomplished so far
- Conducted an MDGs speech competition in Auki, Malaita Province involving 45 students and over 600 members of the public.
- Trained Ministry of Development Planning and Aid Coordination (MDPAC) staff in gender mainstreaming in policy frameworks.
- The National Post-2015 report was finalized and presented to the Government. The report identified key priority areas for human development in Solomon Islands and is an useful tool to validate the National Development Strategy and the development of a Medium Term Framework.
Who Finances it
Total Budget: US$345,293
Project Delivery US$
- Project ID.
- Project Start Date
- Estimated End Date
- Geographic Coverage
- Solomon Islands
- Focus Area
- Poverty Reduction
- Project Officer
- Sarah Nihopara
- Ministry of Development and Aid Coordination